Working away

Wow! Life has been pretty hectic. The past few days have been gorgeous here which means I have spent a lot of time getting the garden tidy. It is looking good. We bought some new hanging baskets with lovely spring flowers which has added some colour to the front of the house. The daffodils at the back are almost in bloom, they are a bit in the shade so are taking a little longer to bloom. I have planted three types of potatoes, two different varieties of lettuce and tidied up my herb pots.


I have been busy learning my new Artista software and the new Bernina 730 machine. Of course this meant buying new thread - this is just a small selection of what I bought. Norman and I spent a lovely day in Edinburgh. He got some new music books - he's getting to grips with his new Yamaha keyboard and it sounds lovely, he plays so well.

I needed some new USB sticks so that I can transfer embroidery designs to the 730 - I can download straight from the laptop but since I have thousands of embroidery designs on there I thought it would be simpler to use USB sticks. Aren't they colourful. He gets them, as well as printer cartridges from 7dayshop. They are cheaper than anywhere else and delivery is usually next day.

This past week I have been teaching Stack 'n' Whack quilts in my classes. This was unplanned but one of my students wanted to know how to do it. Although I had two of Bethany Reynolds books I hadn't tried the technique. I had sufficient Jinny Beyer border fabric and so I made some blocks from that. It was a lot of fun. I think I may be hooked and want to try other shapes (I demonstrated a block using a 60 degree diamond cut in half to form a triangle) and so I popped into Kaleidoscope and bought a few metres of this lovely Japanese design fabric together with a plain for the background - I think this will look gorgeous together. I may teach this as a project fopr next term (September).

I am busy trying out colours and designs on the 730. As well as buying threads from David Drummond I also bought a mega hoop which can be used on the 730. The sewing machine and the new software means a huge learning curve for me. Every step I take I envounter yet another hurdle but I am getting there slowly and surely. The above design is one third of a design from the Latte Quilt book. This is just a practice piece as I haven't rehooped before. I have yet to decide on the colours for the finished quilt - purples, greens, reds or perhaps I will stick to the original latte colours, I am still unsure.